Are you a woman considering a science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM) career? If so, here are some interesting facts about STEM-related occupations.
- It’s estimated that 3.5 million jobs will need to be filled by 2025.
- It is expected that STEM occupations will grow 8.0 percent by 2029.
- STEM jobs often pay more. The average salary for entry-level STEM jobs is $66,123 compared to $52,299 for non-STEM jobs.
- While women are well represented in healthcare-related occupations, they remain starkly underrepresented in computing and engineering jobs.
Rebecca McNally Gilden Memorial Scholarship Details
If you are ready to dive into the world of engineering but are concerned about the cost of college, consider applying for the Rebecca McNally Gilden Memorial Scholarship.
Rebecca Gilden held a Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology and a dual MBA and Master of Engineering in Manufacturing from the Tauber Institute at the University of Michigan.
Rebecca was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2010 and became a fierce advocate to friends and women everywhere for mammograms and preventive scans. She was very public in sharing her cancer battle details.
The Rebecca McNally Gilden Memorial Scholarship was created to continue Rebecca’s desire to elevate women in engineering.
- Targeted Group: Women planning to attend a full-time accredited program in engineering, technology, or computing
- Degree Type: Undergraduate student
- GPA Requirement: 3.5 GPA or above
- Study Requirement: Full-time
- Award Amount: $5,000 (Renewable)
- Other Requirements:
- Applicants must submit their applications by registering on the SWE website.
- For all applications, a faculty reference and a personal reference are required.
The Society of Women Engineers (SWE) supplies scholarships to those who identify as a female/woman and pursue accredited bachelor or graduate student programs in engineering, engineering technology, and computer science.
Their mission is centered around empowering women, helping them achieve their full potential in engineering careers, showing the value of diversity, and showing how engineering and technology professions are a positive force in the world.
In 2020 alone, the SWE disbursed nearly 260 new and renewed scholarships valued at $1,027,850, marking it their highest dollar amount ever!
Looking For Scholarship Opportunities?
If you are a student looking for an easier way to find more great scholarship opportunities, check out Scholar’s App. It’s an all-in-one scholarship application management service that helps you find, apply and land scholarships.
If you are a counselor looking to help your students instantly connect with verified scholarships, then Scholar’s App can help you too! Counselors can view scholarships matching their specific students and track every student’s application each step of the way.
Scholarship donors and administrators can also use Scholar’s App. The scholarship application management software allows donors and administrators to post listings, receive completed applications, collaborate with review committee members, and even send award notifications. If you are a scholarship donor or administrator, create your free account and maximize your scholarship reach!