The Jack Kent Cooke College Scholarships are awarded by the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation.
About Jack Kent Cooke
Jack Kent Cooke (1912 – 1997) was a Canadian-American businessman. He built a business empire in broadcasting and professional sports franchises. He owned several sports teams, including the Washington Redskins (NFL), the LA Lakers (NBA), and the LA Kings (NHL). The bulk of Cooke’s estate went into setting up the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation.
About the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation
The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation is one of the largest scholarship providers in the United States. It was set up in 2000 to support the education of talented students who need financial help. The Foundation has awarded over $230 million in scholarships to almost 3000 students. It has also provided $119.5 million in grants to organizations that help such students.
Jack Kent Cooke Scholarship Details
The JKC Foundation awards several scholarships every year. Here are some details about the scholarship.
- Targeted Group: high-achieving high school seniors who want to attend and graduate from the best four-year colleges and universities but can’t afford it.
- Will graduate from a U.S. high school in Spring 2022.
- Intends to enroll full-time in an accredited four-year college beginning in Fall 2022.
- Shows unmet financial need. The Foundation will consider applicants with family income up to $95,000. Last year’s college scholarship recipients had a median family income of approximately $35,000.
- Degree Type: Four-year Undergraduate
- GPA Requirement: A cumulative unweighted GPA of 3.5 or above
- Study Requirement: Full-time
- Award Amount: The award amount varies by awardee but is capped at $55,000 per year
- Number of scholarships: The number varies. In April 2021, 61 New College Scholars were selected for the Cooke College Scholarship Program.
- Award criteria:
- Academic ability and achievement: Strong academic record, including academic awards and honors. Substantive assessments by educators providing confidential recommendations.
- Financial background: Demonstration of unmet financial need.
- Persistence: Perseverance in the face of obstacles, goal-oriented, the ability to adapt to change.
- Leadership skills (is a positive role model, shows initiative, contributes meaningful service efforts to a community or social issue)
- Application Period: September 1 to November 18, 2021. The list of scholarship recipients will be announced in March 2022.
Wondering How to Find More Great Scholarship Opportunities?
If you’re a student looking for an effortless way to find more great scholarship opportunities like this one, then check out Scholar’s App. It’s an all-in-one scholarship application management service that helps you find and win scholarships. Best of all, it’s completely free!
If you are a counselor looking to help your students instantly connect with verified scholarships, then Scholar’s App can help you too!
Lastly, if you are a scholarship donor or administrator, Scholar’s App can help you take your scholarship to the next level! Scholar’s App connects donors with qualified candidates. Using our scholarship application management software, you can post your listing, receive completed applications, collaborate with your review committee, and even send award notifications. Create a free account to start receiving more qualified and completed applications today!